THE TRIBUTE TO SA MUSIC HEROES CONCERT 1998 -Present
The Tribute to SA Music Heroes Concert was launched at the Orlando Stadium in Soweto in August 1998. The Concert attracted an audience of approximately 5 000 people and has since then increased almost ten-fold.
The Tribute Concert is the only major annual live music entertainment event in the country to exclusively feature South African superstars and emerging musicians and groups.
On Saturday the 2nd of September 2017 at Moretele Park in Tshwane, biggest open-air music event in South Africa celebrated its 19th Anniversary
WORKSHOPS & TRAINING PROGRAMME 1998 – Present
Drakensberg Promotions held three workshops discussing the status of LIVE entertainment in South Africa the progress, failures and the future of the music industry.
The Tribute Concert Workshop programme takes place every year in August at the National Cultural History Museum in Pretoria, discussion on various music industry topics and teaching the youth about the Music Industry. The workshop training was facilitated by Drakensberg Promotions and Zakheni Music Trust, assisted by Heritage Music School.
Extra workshops continue to take place in the following areas:
22nd September 2013 Stenden University / NAC event in Port Alfred, Eastern Cape with 300 Audience and on the 11th October 2013 in Bloemfontein with an Audience of 250, before Macufe Festival.
FRANCE-SOUTH AFRICA SEASONS 2013
Drakensberg Promotions together with, National Arts Council and Festival d’Ile de France, organised South African Musicians to perform in France for the France-South Africa Season. The concert took place in France on Sunday September 8, 2013.
SEASONS PLAYHOUSE MUSIC CONCERT 2012
Drakensberg Promotions had the pleasure to organise the France-South Africa Seasons Closing Ceremony, at The Playhouse Opera Theatre in Durban on Saturday, November 17, 2012. 3
DAY OF RECONCILIATION, UNION BUILDINGS, PRETORIA 2013
16 December 2013, Drakensberg Promotions together with T-Musicman, Co-Organised the 2013 Day of Reconciliation at the Union Buildings in Pretoria.
THE DIAMONDS AND DORING MUSIC FESTIVAL 2001 – 2008
Drakensberg Promotions Conceptualised the Diamonds and Dorings Music
Festival and event managed Events on behalf of the Sol Plaatje Municipality
(2001 – 2008)
MAAPSA BENEFIT CONCERT 2007 -2011
The Carnival City Casino Benefit Concert in aid of MAAPSA (Musicians and Artists Assistance Programme of South Africa) in the Big Top Arena, Carnival City Casino, Brakpan; Last year’s event took place on the 7th May 2011. The multi-artist event gives music fans the opportunity to be part of a fantastic night of live music whilst also raising funds for one of the most crucial support organisations for musicians all over the country. The event was supported financially by the Department of Social Development. The MAAPSA Benefit Concert takes place every year in May at Carnival City, Brakpan.
The New Year’s Day Concert in Durban 2004 -2005;
One of Kwazulu-Natal’s most popular December holiday season events, the 2004 and 2005 events were presented in association with the National Ports Authority of South Africa
The Vodacom Music Spectacular in the Mmabatho Convention Centre; this event was last staged on Saturday, 16 July 2009
OTHER HIGH-PROFILE EVENTS PRODUCED AND CO-ORDINATED OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS:
The African Unity Concert 2002
At the Sandton Convention Centre on 9 July 2002; the event heralded the evolvement of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU) into the African Union (AU) and was broadcast across South Africa as well as Africa-wide
2000 – Soweto Achievers Dinner Awards for 1000 people
At Sandton Convention Centre – Co-ordinated the invitation and the event 4
- A long list of Masakhane concerts on behalf of all Provincial Governments
- Concerts on behalf of the Tourism Boards and the Departments of Arts and Culture of the Northwest, Northern Cape, Mpumalanga and Limpopo Provinces
The Miss Soweto Beauty Pageant 1979 – 2016,
Staged annually in Johannesburg, Gauteng since 1979
In 2013 Miss Soweto was held at the Soweto Theatre, Saturday 30 November 2015.
- Drakensberg Promotions was one of four companies comprising the Concerts For Cricket Consortium who event managed concerts and carnivals on behalf of the ICC Cricket World Cup SA 2003 during the period of the tournament in South Africa – 8 February to 23 March 2003
- Drakensberg Promotions supplied technical support management – under the umbrella of SAMPA (South African Music Promoters Association) – to multiple concerts staged at the Union Buildings in Pretoria on 27 April 2004 in celebration of South Africa’s Ten Year Anniversary of Freedom
- Drakensberg Promotions managed and co-ordinated the arts and cultural content of the programme in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Freedom Charter in Kliptown, Soweto, on Sunday, 26 June 2005
- Drakensberg Promotions offered consultative services and organised the artistic content of the Soweto100 celebration in Mofolo Park last year (a VIP event hosting • 2010 Soccer World Cup: (Public Viewing Areas)
2 000 guests in a luxury marquee) and the Soweto100 celebration this year on 14 October (a VIP event hosting 600 guests in Walter Sisulu Square in Kliptown)
The Festival of Africa – Melrose Arch. JHB – 9th June – 11th July 2010
Sedibeng Fan Park – Sedibeng, Vereeniging – 9th June – 11th July 2010
African Village – Rhodes Park – Kensington, JHB – 9th June – 11th July 2010 5